By Lena Groeger, ProPublica. This article was co-published with Source. Principle 5: Contrast – Don’t Be a Wimp* Use design choices like color, size, and typography boldly to get people to notice what you want them to. The eye is drawn to movement on a still page, bright colors on a page of muted colors [...]
Grubstreet: What do you see as the biggest challenge of the first year of Power FM? Ferdinand Mabalane: Certainly dispelling most of the pictures being painted about it – convincing people that as a station, POWER is able to rise above superficial stuff and meet its obligations without fear or favour. It will also have [...]
Power FM – which went on air yesterday – is set to shake up the already contested radio market in Gauteng not only in the battle for listeners but also in its approach to its target market. Power FM – which is owned by a consortium led by Given Mkhari’s MSG Afrika Investment Holdings – [...]
By Lena Groeger, ProPublica. This article was co-published with Source. While the tools and techniques to present large datasets in graphics and news apps may differ from project to project, the basic design principles stay pretty much the same. Many of these principles should seem pretty familiar – even if you’ve never studied design formally, [...]
Ron Nixon, the Washington correspondent of The New York Times, has been popping in and out of Johannesburg this year to teach investigative reporting at Wits University’s journalism school. Grubstreet interviewed him recently about what he is teaching and what he thinks of investigative journalism in South Africa. We also asked him about the state [...]
eNCA online launched in April this year and already it’s netting 273 000 domestic unique users a month. Not bad for a two-month old site and a relatively new brand in our media landscape. (eNCA used to be eNews until August last year.) In this second part of an interview with Tim Spira, the GM [...]
Never mind the government; where’s that donkey? [NY Times' Ron Nixon on SA investigative journalism]
At Wits University The New York Times’ Washington correspondent, Ron Nixon, is guiding four reporters through four very large, complex journalism investigations that are unusual for two reasons. Firstly, the investigations will be published by the reporters’ respective news organisations as part of an agreement with the Wits Journalism Programme, for which Nixon is doing [...]
TV and online seem to be such a happy fit so it has always perplexed me that eNews Channel Africa – or eNCA (previously eNews) – went for so long without a proper website. In fact, eNCA only launched its site – under GM Tim Spira – in April this year. But even with eNCA [...]
Ramsay Media is being whipped into shape in preparation for the sale of shares currently held by the Ramsay family (mostly through a family trust). Ramsay Media, publishers of popular magazine titles such as CAR, Getaway, Leisure Wheels and Popular Mechanics, was established 1933, and has seen four generations of Ramsay family members employed in [...]
- Nic Dawes on what lies ahead in India, the Mail & Guardian and paywalls May 29, 2013
- City Press’ Ferial Haffajee hits back at Sunday Times’ Phylicia Oppelt June 4, 2013
- Never mind the government; where’s that donkey? [NY Times' Ron Nixon on SA investigative journalism] June 12, 2013
- “It felt like I had just started a whole new career” [Sibongile Mkani-Mpolweni on moving from print to TV] June 6, 2013
- Waiting for news on Mandela:SA daily front pages, Mon 2013-06-10 June 10, 2013
- ProPublica Nerd Blog’s design principles for news apps & graphics (Part 2) June 20, 2013
- Full interview with Power FM’s Ferdinand Mabalane June 19, 2013
- Power FM: Who says you need a target market based on demographics? June 19, 2013
- ProPublica Nerd Blog’s design principles for news apps and graphics (Part 1) June 18, 2013
- Upside Down Day: SA daily front pages, Fri for 2013-06-14 June 14, 2013
- Jude Mathruine: Whether it's an issue with the use of language wh...
- James: Very interesting - there is certainly a need for a...
- Adrian: I b dj in clubs and mobile house commercial and 80...
- More video as the market matures - eNCA\'s Tim Spira (Part 2) | Grubstreet: [...] the party but streetwise: Tim Spira on eNCA ...
- information technology career: Hi there, its fastidious article regarding media p...
Tweeting since March 8, 2009